Thursday, December 17, 2009

this is my nose, or the quantum mechanics of farce

let's talk ingredients- secret and otherwise- and the building blocks of my experience:




lisa frank stickers
some sort of berry lipgloss
the plastic heads of cabbage patch kids
a strangely burning plastic sword in my buddy's backyard
my shin guards
mr bulkie's from 1000 yards away
the inside of a sweet pickles bus
the top of my cats head
day-old white castle
mr bulkie's in-store
perfectly over-popped microwave popcorn
the cold logs in the garage, waiting to be burned not for warmth, but for vicarious involvement in the cosby show
innertubes and a melted ice cream sandwich at the pool
my soaked golden retriever
a singed nintendo zapper deftly re-wired to accomodate a wall outlet
those sulfury small discs called "chinese dragons"
boiled asparagus and charred steak
those vinyl mats in gym class
fortune cookies
a christmas scratch-and-sniff book that amazingly still produces the oranges and the gingerbreads
empty pizza boxes and baseball card gum




taken together, these ingredients represent a small cross-section of my nuclear terroir- the memories of senses generally in orbit around my home as a child, a canon of slow-cooking tomato sauces, panoplies of consumerist big bang trajectories, and all the other little fictions.  the home, a mnemonic architecture for the pastiche of senses within, without, and all around.   before i trip the proust fuse completely, who's to say that gooseberry nose isn't actually the aftertaste of vidal sasoon suspended in my mother's dressing quarters?  that that meaty syrah isn't a slice of cold sausage pizza in my lunchbox?  for me, that nuttiness in a pinot is really a dairy queen parfait from the middle of indiana.  that tangerine acidity is actually a brilliantly prepared orange julius.


i'm not going to run from my past anymore like i do from camcorders and minivans, no.  i'm going to reclaim what's mine, comrade and storm my senses like ollie north in hypercolor and erasable ink.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just perusing your site for the first time and wanted to say I love this entry so, so much. That is all.
    -sarah scrump

    ReplyDelete